New Jersey Science Olympiad
Registration is OPEN
Registration has increased to $250.00 per team for 2020
Please ensure purchase orders and checks are made out for this amount
There will be no second team option in 2020 due to lack of tournament capacity
NJ Science Olympiad Registration Procedures
Adopted August 24, 2019
To increase the efficiency of the registration process and ensure maximum fairness to all participating teams given the limitations of our tournament capacity, the Steering Committee of the NJ Science Olympiad (“NJSO”) has adopted the following registrations procedures for the 2020 tournament season. Please CAREFULLY read the procedures below, which supersede all past registration procedures. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
- The registration period for the 2020 NJSO tournament season will open on Monday September 16, 2019 at 12:00 PM EDT and will close on Friday November 1, 2019 at 6:00 PM EDT. Registration requests outside of this window will not be accepted for any reason.
- The registration process has two steps: (1) online registration, and (2) guarantee of payment. Teams which fail to complete BOTH steps of the registration process, as outlined below, prior to the November 1, 2019 will not be registered for the season and will be ineligible to compete in any NJSO tournaments during the 2020 tournament season. There will be no exceptions to this policy.
- Step 1: Online Registration:
- To register, each head coach must go the NJSO website and follow the links to the online registration form. The registration form will require the coach to acknowledge having read and understood these registration procedures as a prerequisite for submitting the registration.
- Registration submissions using the online form are time-stamped by the software program.
- The online registration form will require coaches to select their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice preferences for regional tournaments.
- If there are any problems with your registration information, NJSO will contact the head coach via e-mail to clarify any required information.
- Within a few days of completion of the online registration, a confirmation e-mail will be sent to the head coach to confirm registration along with an invoice for the registration fee.
Registration is not completed until guarantee of payment is received as indicated below
- Step 2: Guarantee of Payment
- Once the online registration form has been submitted, it is the responsibility of the team’s head coach to ensure that payment or guarantee of payment is received by NJSO by the November 1, 2019 deadline. If you cannot meet this deadline, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All payments or guarantees of payment must be mailed to:
New Jersey Science Olympiad
PO Box 5387
North Branch, NJ 08876-1304
All payments must be made payable to New Jersey Science Olympiad
- NJSO accepts the following as guarantee of payment: Check, money order, or purchase order from a school. A returned check will result in a removal from the registration system for this year and a fee of $35.00 per team that must be paid by May 1, 2019 if the team wishes to register for NJSO in a subsequent season.
- The 2019 registration fee is $250.00 for a school’s team in each division. If a school has teams in both divisions, the fee is $500.00 total.
- Science Olympiad no longer provides printed rule books. You may download the rules for free from National Science Olympiad at https://store.soinc.org/
- It is the head coach’s responsibility to determine what is needed by the school/district office to ensure payment or guarantee of payment is received by the November 1, 2019 deadline. No team will be excused from the deadline to guarantee of payment because of delays in the processing by school/district offices.
- Some school districts and accounting offices required a NJ Business Registration Certificate and/or a W-9 form filled out by NJSO. NJSO is providing both of those forms here:
* NJ Business Registration Certificate
* W-9 Form
It is the head coach's responsibility to determine whether their school requires such documentation and to ensure that the district accounting office receives these documents in a timely manner. Requests to NJSO for this documentation will be forwarded this link, so coaches should download these documents as a time saving precaution.
- NJSO will send weekly e-mail reminders to all head coaches of teams for which guarantee of payment has not been received starting on Monday October 14, 2019.
- Refunds will not be issued for any reason not specifically specified in these procedures.
- Any team that registers online but fails to submit guarantee of payment as indicated herein will be dropped from the registration system and will be ineligible to participate in any NJSO tournaments for the 2020 tournament season.
- Placements at regional tournaments will not be confirmed for any team until after the close of the November 1, 2019 registration window. Thus, coaches should be preparing their teams for competition at all regional tournaments.
- Registration status of all teams will be posted to this web site so you may monitor the status of your registration.
- Capacity is capped at 40 teams per regional tournament and no more than 23 teams in a single division at any regional for a total of 120 teams statewide. The first 120 schools completing online registration and guarantee of payment by November 1, 2019 are guaranteed a placement at a regional tournament. Schools beyond the first 120 may not be able to be placed at a regional tournament.
- If more than 120 schools complete online registration and guarantee of payment, placement will be completed by order of submission of the online registration. Teams that are not able to be placed due to lack of capacity will be issued refunds of their full registration fee.
- Placements at regional tournaments will be made based upon earliest time-stamp for the online registration submission among teams who complete online registration and guarantee of payment prior to Friday November 1, 2019.
- Teams which have not competed in New Jersey Science Olympiad for the past three seasons will receive preference for regional tournament placement over returning teams.
- Teams which paid registration for the prior year, and have never competed in NJSO, but who needed to withdraw from regional competition the previous year will be credited the portion of their registration fee that is paid to NJSO, if the team registers in the subsequent year. The portion of the fee which is paid to National Science Olympiad ($60) cannot be credited.
- Regional placements for all teams will be released on the same date via this website on November 2, 2019. There will be no appeal process for regional tournament placement and registration fees will NOT be refunded due to regional tournament placement. Regional tournament events will also be posted on this date, if available.
- For schools attending Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament Only: We are required to collect an additional $60 National Science Olympiad registration fee for schools who will be taking more than one team to any specific Invitational Tournament. This fee is for the National Science Olympiad membership fee for your additional team(s) and is not retained by New Jersey Science Olympiad. Separate e-mail communications will be sent to Head Coaches to inquire about which schools are subject to this rule. Additional teams under this rule do count toward New Jersey's membership numbers toward eligibility for additional bids at National Science Olympiad.
Note: For Elementary Tournament Registration, please visit the Elementary Tournament Pages
Please visit our website (www.njscienceolympiad.org)
for more information.